I’ve seen the concept of professional photoshoots and photos sometimes be a challenge for us dietitian business owners. When I first started my business, ‘photoshoots’ and getting ‘professional photos’ taken was a foreign concept and I had no idea where to start, so don’t worry if you’re in the same boat!
Questions I asked myself and hear from my clients and fellow RDs include, “Where do I find a good photographer?”, “What types of photos should I get?”, and “How am I going to afford a professional photoshoot?”
What I’ve learned is that professional photos don’t have to cost an arm and a leg, and they can really make your website and social media feel unique and inviting to customers.
My top tips for a successful professional photoshoot:
1. Find a photographer that has a style and look similar to your brand. A great way to do this is to search for photographers on Google or websites such as Thumbtack, Task Rabbit, and Meet A Photographer. Browse photographers’ portfolios to see the style of their work, and reach out to your favorites. If you are not sure about what sort of style or look you are going for, take inspiration from other websites and RDs that you follow and respect.
2. Set a budget and confirm that budget with your photographer before the photoshoot. You don’t have to shell out tons of cash to get good quality, professional photos taken. For reference, I’ve gotten photos taken for anywhere from $150-$250 and that typically includes 10 edited, high-resolution photos. Prices will vary based on the photographer and how many final photos you’d like (often, the photographer gives you the option to buy more photos once the shoot is done). Remember that great photos can last you a while and be used for many applications, so this is worth the investment!
3. Go into the photoshoot with a plan of which shots you are wanting to get (and relay this to the photographer ahead of time too). Having a variety of photos to choose from will be very helpful when you’re building your website. Some of my favorite photos to get are:
- Posed professional. These include posed shots of you working and looking at the camera.
- Candid professional. These can include you doing work, using your computer, talking on the phone, etc, without looking at the camera.
- Lifestyle. These photos can vary depending on your area of work and personality, but you are basically looking to get photos of you doing things that align with your business that look less posed.
4. Bring 1-2 outfit changes so you can change in between shots to gather a larger variety of shots. This is the most helpful if you are going to be using the photos for social media and marketing because then you will have more material for a longer time with only one photoshoot.
5. Make sure the colors and surroundings align with your brand.
6. Keep it simple! You can definitely include props and even have some photos with other people in your team, but always keep it simple and focused on you or what you are looking to promote in the photo.
7. Have your photographer take landscape, portrait, and wide-angle shots so that you have a variety for different uses.
Following these tips will ensure you have a fun and successful professional photoshoot, plus tons of great photos you can use for your business in endless ways!
And always remember, photos are not forever… don’t put too much pressure on yourself to “get it just right” and have some fun with it!
You Have Your Photos, Now What?
Download my website content planner to help organize your thoughts and copy for your new website! 📋